Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Quilters meet and Greet

Hello Everyone, 
I am thrilled to be participating in Quilter's Meet & Greet, hosted by Benita Skinner of https://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.com/. There will be a chance to win the amazing Great Grand prize package. 
For those of you who are here for the first time, here is a little bit about how I started my quilting journey:
 I am a self-taught seamstress, mostly did sewing out of necessity. I have sewn pillow covers and did a lot of alterations for Mom. I've also sewn baby clothes and pajamas for my children when they were little. Started sewing some of my garments myself, especially Indian clothing like Salwar kameez and saree blouse. Wanting to improve sewing skills, I took Sewing Certification classes with the thread making company “Sulky” and was introduced to quilting and adding embellishments on a practical level.  By volunteering at Ronald McDonald House quilting group, I learned more about quilting and fell in love with the whole process. After taking a couple of quilting classes online at Craftsy, I started quilting traditionally and as an art-form.  I love the simplicity of modern quilts, intricacy of traditional quilt and the creativity of art quilts. I get my inspiration from nature, fellow quilters and quilting blogs and keep my  passion alive by attending a local monthly quilting group called the “Creative Saturday." Here are a few of my favorites.

Pansy - My first original art quilt

This Pansy quilt is one of my favorite quilt. It is the first quilt I designed it from a photo I took. I had such fun making this quilt.

Black and White quilt

Sampler Quilt

Please visit the other participating blogs and increase your chance of winning at each blog.
The Quilter's Meet and Greet runs till September 30.

Monday, August 6, 2018

Allah Wall Hanging

I started this wall hanging in June 2018 at a quilting retreat. Laid the paper pattern I made a while ago, on top of the black linen fabric and stitched over the outline by machine with light yellow thread. Tore the pattern out and this is how it looked.

Backed with two layers of black fleece  instead of stabilizer.
I used Sulky sun yellow gunold thread to thread paint, free motion style, inside the big arabic lettering which says "Allahu" meaning God.  When I finished sewing it was scrunched a bit because of all the thread. So I added stabilizer to the small lettering  "Jalla Jalaluhu" which means "His Majesty be glorified". Adding the stabilizer was a bad idea as it was super thick and broke many machine needles and because I used metallic thread, it was overheating the machine. After a few tries, I hand sew the lettering with golden embroidery floss.

Hand sewn with gold embroidery thread.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Circle of Color Bull's Eye Challenge

"Circle of Color" is what I call this quilt. I had purchased the Robert kaufman Kona cotton stash builder bundle 2 years ago to make a rainbow  quilt. I had a few pattern in mind to use the fabrics. I also wanted to make a color-wheel quilt with a modern feel to it. When SAQA-OH announced its challenge to make a bulls eye quilt, I got to work. I also challenged myself to use only fabric from the stash since I have a collection. Randomly picked fabric from the Kona bundle and from my stash, this non-traditional color wheel was born. The grey background makes it more modern.To make it more interesting, I free motion quilted a  pattern around the circle first and scribble quilted the rest. The center was quilted with a free motion feather motif. For the first time I used facing instead of binding and I liked the results. It's all ready to be hung with hanging sleeves attached.

Linking up with Lorna at SewFreshQuilts

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Hibiscus Quilt

Two years ago I took pictures of a Hibiscus flower thinking of making it into an art quilt. Before I delve into that I thought I should do a practice piece. So I picked another photo I had taken and after searching several you tube videos to see how to go about it, came across Marilyn Lee's video series, making of an art quilt. She goes through step by step in making a quilt from a photo. I used her tutorials to enlarge the photo, make a pattern and started the process of making it into this quilt using 18 different fabrics. Making this quilt gave me the confidence to make another quilt, but this time I tried with just one fabric for the flower and used thread and seta color paint to add depth to the piece. I used silk fabric for the petals. Here are the pictures in different stages of the making.
Photo enlarged and posterized

Petals cut and fused to background fabric and started thread painting.

More threadwork done with a little bit of painting.
French knots added for the stamen.

Sunday, May 6, 2018

Tree quilt Experiment

This month at the Creative Saturday, we explored Ricky Tims's scribble technique project.
These are the quilts we came up with.

This is mine. I might add other elements to make it more interesting.

Charity Quilt at Creative Saturday

This is the first group donation or charity quilt that we did at Creative Saturday group. We loosely followed the prismatic quilt pattern by Karen Lewis for Robert Kaufman fabrics. Here is the link: http://www.robertkaufman.com/quilting/quilts_patterns/prismatic_echoes/

It  was not very colorful as we wanted to be because some of the members were very skeptical or intimidated by the pattern and didn't do it. It was actually easy to put together. The sashing tied the blocks together and I think it made a lovely quilt. We still need to quilt it.